[mdlug] Interesting information about Windows "7"

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue Jan 22 12:09:13 EST 2008

> From: Robert Adkins

> However, it looks like MS is appearing to be playing OS market "Damage
> Control" caused by their currently stagnating Windows ME2^H^H^H^Vista OS.

 They won't make that ship date. No chance, their whole development methodology
is insufficient to manage the codebase they have. And Vista is too fundamentally
broken by design - to come up with something that would help their marketing
they'd have to start from scratch and what they produced would look a whole lot
like XP.

 They have a *lot* of resources to throw at problems, don't get me wrong, but
that kind of schedule is impossible even for them. Exponential complexity
growth can swamp any finite amount of resources. Microsoft doesn't modularize
well because they *want* a monolithic OS that can't be unbundled, but that
makes coding it increasingly hairy.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                    (313) 227-2317

 "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test
     a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln