[mdlug] Linux and Digital Photography

Richard Staff rstaff at sprynet.com
Mon Jan 21 15:04:46 EST 2008

Well, I'm trying.
One JPEG cropped in GIMP 2.2.
And I got Klaus Goelker's  "GIMP 2 for Photographers".
I'm on chapter 2.
But for RAW editing you need color profiling for your equipment.
Monitor, camera, printer (*.ICC & *.ICM files).
Bibble Pro provides profiles for several cameras (including the D40x).
Bibble Pro is a commercial product, but is available for Linux, Mac OS
X, and Windows.
Nikon Capture NX does the best RAW image editing, but is not available
for Linux.
There is something called ArgyllCMS that lets you do color profiling.
But I believe it requires something else (expensive) to profile printers
& monitors.
I'm a newbie and not a "pro-photographer" yet, thus I'm happy when all
looks nice.
Smile ... say Linux,   :-D
Rick