[mdlug] Linux and Digital Photography

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Mon Jan 21 14:45:25 EST 2008

	I go RAW. My camera is a Canon 30D.

	I also do not produce my own prints at home, I've been terribly
unhappy with the results, either the print itself comes out poor, the ink
tanks become screwy, yadda-yadda. I prepare my prints and run a disc over to
the local 1-hour place, for better quality prints, I am looking at going
with Smugmug or another source.

	When it comes to color management, printer drivers and then
resulting printer driver color management, Linux truly leaves a great deal
to be desired. I'm looking to take my photography more professional and I
love the idea of being able to go Open Source and save thousands on software
and computer equipment. Unfortunately, Pro-Photography is just something
that Linux is pretty weak.

	So, what I am currently using is WindowsXP, the Canon RAW Converter,
Adobe Photoshop Elements and an external print house. I will be using a Mac,
Adobe Photoshop CS3 and still using an external print house, hopefully by
the end of this year.

	As I move to a more professional situation with my photograph, Linux
will be used for content management with a LAMP based setup running one of
the several Photography Album systems that allows for the storage of a
considerable amount of information about the files.

	-Rob