[mdlug] mdlug Digest, Vol 17, Issue 33

Elisa Gomez shmi85 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 14:33:13 EST 2008

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:23:36 -0500
> From: David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com>
> Subject: Re: [mdlug] External Hard Drives: Mounting,
> Unmounting,
> 	Partial Mounting?
> To: MDLUG's Main discussion list <mdlug at mdlug.org>
>
> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 22:20:55 -0800 (PST)
> Elisa Gomez wrote:
>
> > Elisa Gomez wrote:
> > > But for whatever reason, Ubuntu (Gutsy) seems to
> > only
> > > be partially recognizing the drive. I've
> labelled it
> > > (msdos) and formatted it (ext2) with gparted.
>
> Elisa,
>
> I'm coming late to this thread, so I may be
> repeating something already
> said....
>
> A few weeks ago I read that some NAS devices
> dismount/remount whenever
> they suspend.  This works fine under Windoze but not
> Linux.  With Linux
> the dismount/remount behavior changes the device
> from /dev/sda
> to /dev/sdb to /dev/sdc ... and Linux doesn't handle
> this.  If memory
> serves, the problem is with Seagate's new line of
> NAS devices.   Who's
> the drive manufacturer?
>
> Regards,
>
> David

Some company I've never heard of:
http://www.iomagic.com/

My mom bought this for me as a gift, so I'm just
grateful that she really bought an external drive with
a large storage capacity.

These are the specs they provide on their website for
the drive I have:

Average Access  	Read 8ms
Write 9ms
Average Seek Time 	8ms