[mdlug] External Hard Drives: Mounting, Unmounting, Partial Mounting?

Elisa Gomez shmi85 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 14:29:04 EST 2008

 > Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:53:13 -0500 (EST)
> From: Robert Meier <eaglecoach at wwnet.com>
> Subject: Re: [mdlug] External Hard Drives: Mounting,
> Unmounting,
> 	Partial Mounting?
> To: mdlug at mdlug.org
>
> Elisa,
>
> I believe you are encountering the limits of your
> bios.
> You have several alternatives (identified at end).

[cut -- this was all v useful background info, btw,
thanks!]

> Alternatives:
>   1. Get in habit of unmounting and mounting before
> and after suspension.
>   2. Add/extend scripts to unmount and mount before
> and after suspension.
>   3. Wait patiently after suspension until "new
> hardware detector" mounts.
>      Wait patiently before suspension until
> everything gets flushed.
>   4. Tweak "new hardware detector" to mount more
> reliably.
>      Wait patiently before suspension until
> everything gets flushed.
>   5. Don't unmount and don't complain about data
> corruption.

New question! I'm fully prepared to unmount and
remount before and after suspension -- it's not a big
deal, once I understand why it needs to happen. But
I'm trying right now (both graphically and through the
commandline) and I'm getting errors of "An application
prevented the volume from being unmounted" in X and a
"umount: /media/disk: device is busy" error in
commandline.

I shut down the two applications that I have that are
saving to the disk and/or using data from it (Miro &
Amarok) but I'm still getting the same errors. I'm not
really sure what else it could be busy with -- is
there a command I can run that will output some
information about what's currently going on in there
in a user-friendly format that I will be able to
mostly understand? ;)

The way I solved the problem of the disk not being
recognized at all after two suspensions was just to
restart the computer (not necessary to do so with the
disk). When the computer booted back up, it
auto-detected/mounted the disk. I left it on overnight
because I was downloading and now that I'd like to
suspend, I'm stuck not being able to.

Thanks!

~Elisa