[mdlug] External Hard Drives: Mounting, Unmounting, Partial Mounting?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Jan 20 13:23:36 EST 2008

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 22:20:55 -0800 (PST)
Elisa Gomez wrote:

> Elisa Gomez wrote:
> > But for whatever reason, Ubuntu (Gutsy) seems to
> only
> > be partially recognizing the drive. I've labelled it
> > (msdos) and formatted it (ext2) with gparted.

Elisa,

I'm coming late to this thread, so I may be repeating something already
said....

A few weeks ago I read that some NAS devices dismount/remount whenever
they suspend.  This works fine under Windoze but not Linux.  With Linux
the dismount/remount behavior changes the device from /dev/sda
to /dev/sdb to /dev/sdc ... and Linux doesn't handle this.  If memory
serves, the problem is with Seagate's new line of NAS devices.   Who's
the drive manufacturer?

Regards,

David