[mdlug] External Hard Drives: Mounting, Unmounting, Partial Mounting?

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Fri Jan 18 19:53:32 EST 2008

Elisa Gomez wrote:
> But for whatever reason, Ubuntu (Gutsy) seems to only
> be partially recognizing the drive. I've labelled it
> (msdos) and formatted it (ext2) with gparted.

Hi Elisa,

Did you figure out how to mount the hard drive?

When I have a USB device, I plug it in, what a few seconds, then
type "fdisk -l".  That command will let you know what all devices
and partitions have been discovered.

If your device and its partition(s) are listed in the output,
run the command "mount" to see if the partition(s) was mounted.
If it's not listed, you can create a directory such as /mnt/usb
and run "mount -t auto /dev/sdXX /mnt/usb", replacing the XX with
a letter and number.

If that works, you can "ls /mnt/usb" and see your files.  If
it doesn't work, let us know how far you get in the process.