[mdlug] Did I go to lunch and somehow slip into an alternate dimension?

Garry Stahl tesral at comcast.net
Thu Jan 17 13:45:30 EST 2008

Robert Adkins wrote:
> MS Announces the actual opening of old binary office file formats...
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/01/17/1553206.shtml

Well not quiet.  They are removing the intermediate steps to getting the
documentation, under the OSP, which you can get now by asking for it.
They are also creating a converter from .doc; .xls; .ppt to OOXML, which
we know is their not so open MS pissed in XML format.

OSP isn't exactly GPL as we all well know.  OOXML is not XML as we also
now, or ODF or really open in any sense.

So Balmer hasn't had any funny coffee or something.  They are acting
with the usual HS/Honeydew "generosity".

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn Http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com