[mdlug] Samba

Mark Thuemmel ldaphelp at thuemmel.com
Mon Feb 25 13:45:09 EST 2008

Robert Adkins wrote:
> You need no client softwareon the WinXP Box.
> What you need is a Samba Account configured for the user on the WinXP Box to
> be able to connect to the Samba box.
> Create a Unix user.
> Then create a Samba user with the same name.
> -Rob

The Samba Fault Tree in http://www.faqs.org/docs/samba/ch12.html has a
nice step by step process to trouble shoot Samba.

The distribution you are using probably has its own preferred way to
administer Samba....which flavor of Linux is this on?

Or you may just try adding this quick and dirty to your
/etc/samba/smb.conf file and restart Samba.  Then browse from your WinXP
box.

[test]
path = /home/garry
force user = garry