[mdlug] OT - IR jamming

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Fri Feb 22 01:50:23 EST 2008

Dave Arbogast wrote:

>> | WOW!  I guess the censorship of our press during this war has been
>> | effective in confusing me ;-)
>>
>> LOL - and I was just wondering when the FBI was going to show up at
>> Allen's door and cart him off to Gitmo.
>>
>> - --
>> Thomas Cameron, RHCE, RHCX, CNE, MCSE, MCT
>>
> LOL !!  Would not be the first US Citizen to be hauled there w/o court,
> trial, lawyer, etc.

Of course, to get such special treatment, you have to work
at it -- specifically, to train with, and swear allegience
to people who are at war with the United States.

At that point, you're no longer a civilian, and you fall
under Geneva Convention rules.  If you choose to carry out
your struggle without wearing a uniform (which can be as
simple as an identification armband), or do other things
such as setting up military facilities among the civilian
populace, and other ways of deliberately causing your
enemy's actions against you to maximize civilian casualties,
or placing military equipment in protected places (such as
hospitals, religious sites, etc.) then you're a war
criminal, and even the Geneva Convention classfies you as
an "illegal combatant" and you have NO protections --
basically, the life and well-being of an illegal combatant
are at the whim of his or her captors.

Legal combatants must be freed upon the end of hostilities,
as they are not detained for reason of wrong-doing, only to
prevent them from returning to the fight.

Illegal combatants have no such rights.

During WW2, several Germans, along with one U.S. citizen
were landed on the Atlantic Coast, for the purpose of
committing sabotage against American industry.

As they were all dressed in civilian clothes, and wore
nothing to identify themselves as combatants, they
all (including the U.S. Citizen) got the Jose Padilla
treatment.  6 of the 8 were executed, including the
U.S. citizen.

Similarly, although many are reluctant to admit it,
when a bunch of aviators participated in "The Great
Escape" from a German POW camp (yes, the movie is
based on a real event, and quite accurately), and
most wore civilian clothing (or uniforms modified
to look like civilian clothing), and many were
captured, with 50 executed, IN THIS INCIDENT the
Gestapo actually was operating within the Geneva
Convention.