[mdlug] SCO is baack.....

Bruce Smith blubdog at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 07:56:31 EST 2008

> I, for one, came here right after reading slashdot and was a little
> bummed there wasn't a bunch of chatter over this milestone for SCO.

I apologize if I killed this thread and getting side tracked.
Let me try to put it back on subject.

Who in their right mind would invest in SCO?
Especially ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS???

I admit not being current with SCO's business.  Do they have any
products other than SCO Unix?  If that's all they have, then I can't
imagine how they could make money.

AFAIK, SCO Unix hasn't been updated in years (decades?), and nobody in
their right mind would buy it now.  Even "back in it's day" it sucked
(IMO) - I've seen it.  The only nitch it had was the ability to run on
PC hardware (it was cheaper), but compared to other [non PC] Unix
vendors of the day, it sucked!  There are certainly much better, and
cheaper, options for running *nix on PC hardware these days!

Do they have any source of income, other than legacy Unix
implementations still paying maintenance?  That has to be shrinking.

Before he retired recently, a friend of mine was a SCO Unix admin at a
branch of the US military.  Places like that are not fast to change,
but eventually SCO Unix has to become extinct, doesn't it?

 - BS