[mdlug] [mdlug-admin] IEEE 1394a

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Tue Aug 12 18:47:00 EDT 2008

2008-08-12, Monsieur Dan Pritts a ecrit:
> in my experience, 400Mbps firewire is generally faster and definitely
> uses less host CPU than USB2, at least under MacOS.

I've noticed the same under Linux.

For the last couple years I've been using a Firewire external disk
for my backup. But recently I needed to free up a PCI slot on my
mobo (don't ask:) and I made the tough decision to eliminate the
Firewire card. I figured that since I already have built-in USB2
ports I may as well use them. So now my external disk is in a USB2
case. From the backups I've done since then, USB2 is noticeably
slower than Firewire. I'll go back to Firewire if I get the chance.

Michael