[mdlug] MySQL Upgrade - latin1 -> utf8???

Wojtak, Greg GregWojtak at quickenloans.com
Mon Apr 28 16:57:05 EDT 2008

I am trying to migrate a bunch of MySQL databases from an old, old
Gentoo server running MySQL 4.0.22 to a RHEL server running MySQL
5.0.22.  In the process, we are also migrating from latin1 character set
to utf8.  The database I am working with now is a mediawiki db, and when
I do the standard mysqldump, run iconv on the resulting file, and then
import the database, some of the pages in the wiki won't load until I do
an edit and save.   Even when I do that, single quotes and double dashes
(I presume they are "smart" quotes and one of the longer dashes like
what gets generated by Word or OO Writer when you type --) show up as
"funky characters."  The database cannot be dumped as utf8 as 4.0 does
not support it.

At this point, I don't know if it is a problem with the database import
process or something with mediawiki.  Does anyone have any ideas on any
anything else I can try?

TIA,

Greg Wojtak

The Linux Fix - We are your open source