[mdlug] Redesigning Gate

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 24 07:34:22 EDT 2008

This is how I would proceed...
Prep work; install grub on /dev/hdb and *verify* that you can successfully
boot from that drive.  Probably need to tweak your BIOS settings to boot
from drive2 to verify.  Once you have it booting from /dev/hdb, power down,
then swap out the old hda with the new one.
Boot the system, partition the new drive, create a filesystem, and format
it.  (gparted, or the partitioner in Yast works great here).
Go to single user mode:
# /sbin/init S
Make a mount point:
# mkdir /mnt/new-home
Mount new filesystem:  (assuming an ext3 filesystem on the first partition)
# mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/new-home
Change to the old home directory:
# cd /home
Copy files:
# pax -rw -v -pe . /mnt/new-home
Unmount the new filesystem:
# umount /mnt/new-home
Change to the root directory:
# cd /
Unmount the old home
# umount  /home
Edit /etc/fstab and change home from /dev/hdb3 to /dev/hda1
# vi /etc/fstab
Mount /dev/hda1 as /home (should read changes in fstab)
# mount /home
Go to multi user mode:
# /sbin/init 5
Done!

Suggestion... you might want to omit the "-v" switch in the pax command
above so you don't see all the files as they are being moved.

-Mike