[mdlug] home hosting

Dave Arbogast mdlug3 at arb.net
Tue Apr 8 00:52:28 EDT 2008

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>Dave Arbogast wrote:

>>>Move SSH to a nonstandard port. This will drastically limit your exposure to
>>>automated hack attempts. You could also use my "Ostiary" program to selectively
>>>allow SSH access, but depending on what you're doing that may be overkill.
>>>
>>>Sincerely,
>>>
>>>Ray Ingles                                             (313) 227-2317
>>>

>>Great catch Ray - I moved mine to 443 years ago so I could access it
>>through every corporate firewall I've been proxied through. (plus no
>>root directly)
>>

>Was 443 random, or was there a particular reason for putting
>it on that port?

Not random at all. I wanted to be able to tunnel my own traffic through
corp FW in order to do my job of security work. It give me an outside
host with a view of their network from the outside w/o filters. The port
was picked because I have yet to see any fortune 50 company block port
443 ( https ) for users with internet WEB access. Since the traffic is
encrypted, their IPS / IDS devices can't see it is ssh rather than https
- at least so far ;-)

-dave