[mdlug] home hosting

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Mon Apr 7 14:42:14 EDT 2008

Some ideas:
1. With a dynamic IP you will lose connections at times when the IP expires.  I use http://no-ip.com to give me a name.  The software is supposed to connect out and inform the service whenever it changes. But I've not gotten it to work. It's free but the drawback is you have to use their names.
2. Anybody can tie up your bandwidth. Oh, and some ISPs, I hear, may throttle you.
3. You can have several hosts names pointing to your box.  I use the configuration of the Apache software to route each name to a specific directory.  Give some thought to the locations you want to set up.  One site for your personal general information and a link to each other site.  One site for only family members and photos. Each hobby each with a site.  A test site.
4. Use software that copies each web site as a web site. I use httrack - free and runs on Linux. Fantastic for backup and creating test copies.  Note - it adds stuff to your code (easy to remove). It provides some transformation options (place all images in one folder and all HTML in another, copy linked pages . . . ).
5. Set up a "My Space" or a simple named web site that can point to your general site.  This gives you a name you can share with others that is easy to understand.
6. Set up any domain names with a good domain name service.  Be aware that you need to renew the names or lose them. Some services (godaddy.com) will sell people the expiration dates of your domains.

-- allen <amajorov at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
I'm looking for a bit of wisdom on the ins and outs of hosting off my
home PC. I'm running a LAMPP stack on Ubuntu and am using floppyfw as
router software. My application isn't particularly processor or disk
intensive although bandwidth might be a consideration since I'm serving
up podcasts.

Allen