[mdlug] Hard drive issue I/O error

Morris, Tim tmorris at ugs.com
Mon Sep 24 15:43:30 EDT 2007

If it's not the cable, run some diagnostics on the controller also. Hard
drives are blamed for way too many "other" problems. (You should always
have your data backed up anyway)

Try another hard drive, if possible, and see if the problem persists.
Sometimes just recreating the file system can go a long way. If you see
"I/O error, unable to write to/read from block ?????" or similar, then
that's a pretty good sign it's the drive.

Is it an external or internal drive?

I had a faulty USB enclosure showing very similar symptoms (although in
Window$). It would work normally for a while, then the system would
freeze for a few seconds. If I tried to copy a lot of data to it, it
would die and unmount the drive (loose the drive letter). A reboot would
fix it, until the next time. Sounds similar to what you are seeing.

--  Tim Morris - UGS PLM Software