[mdlug] Hard drive issue I/O error

Mathew Enders mathew.enders at prodigy.net
Fri Sep 14 13:07:57 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 12:20 -0400, Bob Dion wrote:
> I would back the drive up, unmount it and run fschk.
> If you get more io errors with fschk I would say the drive is toast.
>
> You may also want to concider installing smartctl & smartd on this
> system.

I unmounted the 2 partitions on the drive and then attempted to fsck
them and here is the error I get.  If I reboot all is well until some
future point when the rsync happens again

ARDVARC:~# fsck /staffbak
fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
e2fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
fsck.ext3: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while trying to open /dev/hdg1
Could this be a zero-length partition?
ARDVARC:~# fsck /stdntbak
fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
e2fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
fsck.ext3: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while trying to open /dev/hdg2
Could this be a zero-length partition?
ARDVARC:~#

Then when attemptinf to remount them I get this error

ARDVARC:~# mount /staffbak
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdg1,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

ARDVARC:~# mount /stdntbak
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdg2,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

ARDVARC:~#

Here is the end of dmesg

end_request: I/O error, dev hdg, sector 65
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
end_request: I/O error, dev hdg, sector 65
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
end_request: I/O error, dev hdg, sector 488343872