[mdlug] Expanding skills required

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Wed Sep 5 06:38:56 EDT 2007

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:31:39 -0400
Aaron Kulkis <akulkis3 at HotPOP.com> wrote:

> Robert Adkins wrote:
> > Yes, this is a Linux List.
> >
> > There are also more than a few members who are well versed in
> > multiple platforms outside of Linux.
> >
> > I am seeking a new job. The problem is, the vast majority of
> > available jobs are saying, "Needs MS Windows XYZ Experience."
>

> However, very few of THOSE jobs are what I would call "desirable"
>

> > It would be very detrimental to limit my prospects and knowing how
> > people on this list both have a wide range of talents and skills
> > covering multiple platforms and also tend to be helpful. I figured
> > putting this request out could provide some decent response.
>
> I have a Dice.com search agent that seeks out Unix, Linux, HP-UX,
> Solaris, Irix, or AIX, and I'm getting more than a half dozen NEW
> listings per day, just in the Detroit area.

	I get about as many new listings in my field every two to three
months unsolicited. Of those I wouldn't want to even interview one.
These usually are the same positions from 6-12 months ago, they never
pay enough which is why they allways turn over. Again, my perspective
is limited to my field but we've been having to consider methods and
materials we find objectionable to give the customer what they want.
That for the last several years with no end in sight.

Best Regards,

--
Peter The Plumber sm on the Road
State Licensed Plumber