[mdlug] OT: nis/make broken (Solaris)

Dean Durant mdlug at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 30 17:42:53 EST 2007

Hello, I am trying to add a user 'foo' to a group in the file /etc/nis/group.   I can add her, and the /var/yp/make seems to work (not sure though), but when I do an id -a on foo, it doesn't show that they were added to the group.    ypcat group shows that the group has been added correctly to the group file.   "groups foo" *does* show the user belongs to the group that I want her in.  The user reports that she can't access the folders she was trying to get to.   I tested it on my own ID and I thought it was working, but I didn't get a chance to check on the user.  But the Makefile for nis has been acting strange for a while.   Is it possible to delete the results of make and re-make the files?    If so, how do I do that?    make says things are up-to-date.     Should I back up the original files first?    This is Solaris 8.

Is there a difference between where 'id' and 'groups' look to see what groups someone is in?     Thanks, Dean