[mdlug] WiFi -Woes(?) or Broadcom is 'the' lame

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Thu Nov 29 09:54:42 EST 2007

> > From: Robert Adkins

> > > 	So, I finally decided to fix my issue of basically ignoring the
> > > WiFi adapter in my old Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop. It has a "Dell
> > > Truemobile 1300"
> > > wifi adapter which is using a Broadcom chipset.
>
> > 	Nobody got anything on this?
>
>  Nope, sorry. I've been lucky and/or careful in picking
> hardware that's supported under Linux. A couple of
> Atheros-based cards (cardbus & desktop) and a Symbol
> compact-flash card with a PCMCIA adapter. Haven't messed with
> Broadcom at all, nor with WPA (since my Symbol card is
> 802.11b and can't handle WPA).
>
>  Sincerely,
>
>  Ray Ingles                               (313) 227-2317

	I hear you.

	At the time of buying that laptop, my wife's employer was paying a
decent portion of the tab to order through Dell and they provided a limited
set of options (a Low-end, Midrange and High-End system), with few
customizable elements. I ended up with a really slick (at the time) machine
for far less than it would have cost otherwise.

	I also wasn't so concerned with the WiFi card under Linux, since so
few places had "Free WiFi" back then and I had no issues with plugging it
into my home network.

	Oh well, maybe I need to pickup a separate WiFi card and go to town
configuring that.

	Thanks,
	Rob