[mdlug] OT: squid question

Kristoffer Marshall marshall.kris at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 11:24:54 EST 2007

I personally have not done filtering in squid except for a couple
ad-blocking programs that work along-side of it. If you want to skip
trying to configure squid for filtering but would still like to use it
as a caching proxy server, you may be able to do the old hosts file
trick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file#Ad_filtering). If
everyone needs to go through the server, this may work, but I'm sure
people could just change their DNS server to bypass it if you don't
block DNS from coming in. I'm not quite sure if it would work, but it may.

You may want to look at this instead though ->
http://calomel.org/squid_adservers.html
It briefly shows you how to use a separate file for all of the rules,
and download the rules automatically so you don't have to write them
yourself. This is of course for blocking ads, but you can use your own
rules exclusively or append your own so that it blocks ads and
illegitimate websites.