[mdlug] A big opportunity for Linux?

David Lee Lambert davidl at lmert.com
Sat Nov 24 08:07:54 EST 2007

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 10:10, David Lane wrote:
> I have a mixed environment both PC and Linux. And I'm about to implement
> web, data, and email servers.
>
> So yes  Full Remotes for both from both.

Ray mentioned Cygwin/X.  I use this daily at work; I usually have one emacs
process running on my Linux workstation, and select "File > Open Frame on New
Display..." to display it on my Windows workstation as well.

In the other direction, you can use the Linux client for the Remote Desktop
Protocol (the wrapper-package on Ubuntu is called "tsclient").

In either direction,  you can use VNC.

If you just want to execute text-only programs (for instance to start/stop
services, "net start" on Windows and "/etc/init.d/... start" on Linux) you
can use SSH.  Cygwin has an SSH server and client;  I'm pretty sure that
Microsoft Services for Unix does too.  However,  I usually use PuTTY as an
SSH client from Windows.

--
David Lee Lambert ... Software Developer
Cell phone: +1 586-873-8813 ; alt. email <as4109 at wayne.edu> or