[mdlug] A big opportunity for Linux?

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 10:30:52 EST 2007

> Again, back to the topic of discussion. Opportunity for Linux based on
> real total cost of ownership....
> Are you a tried and True MSCE ?  :-D    I usually don't get slammed so
> hard by Linux people what I talk about Linux, particularly when the
> lack of Windoze security is a factor.

Nope,  I've used LINUX as a desktop, solely (no dual boot) since RedHat
6.2 and AIX before that.  I've administered UNIX & LINUX servers since
LINUX kernel 0.99a.  And I've led a LINUX desktop trial project of over
80 machines.

But I don't feel the need to shoo-away or conveniently dismiss real
deficiencies in the "product" where I've seen it not live-up to real
user needs.  That isn't how you make better software or solutions.

I also don't accept nor will savvy business people, the fanboy
mud-slinging and fear mongering of Open Source "advocates" any more than
I do from proprietary vendors.  If Windows is as horrible as many of
these kinds of threads would leave one to believe then commerce in the
United States would be shutting down almost completely on a frequent
basis.  It doesn't, because it isn't  (or actually it is, IMO, but some
simple solutions band-aid the biggest problems - if someone chooses to
pay unholy sums of money for said band-aid, that isn't specifically a
Windows problem.).

There are many aspect of the LINUX OS and related packages that aren't
anywhere near ideal, trying to pooh-pooh those issues will only leave
you with a disappointed, or pissed off, client.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com