[mdlug] A big opportunity for Linux?

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Nov 21 08:10:13 EST 2007

	I checked on one of my home systems last night. The most recent
release of GNOME certainly does lack the ability to utilize ACLs.

	I hardly see that as an issue, considering the fact that GNOME has
always been geared toward the novice who is likely to have virtually no
knowledge of even simple filesystem permissions, let alone the additional
complexities that ACLs can add to the mix.

	On GNOME's webpage, here's the first sentence describing the
project: "GNOME offers an easy to understand desktop for your GNU/Linux or
UNIX computer."

	ACLs (Heck even basic permissions) are hardly within the realm of
"easy to understand". (Unless, of course, you are an advanced user/admin.) I
run a Domain Controller using Samba for the office and even though I have
explained permissions time and time again, as well as set individualized
permissions on particular files specifically to allow most users ONLY read
access and a few users RW access to a single file in an otherwise "full
access" directory, I regularly field questions about who has access to what,
why and sometimes how that works. (From the same people, over and over.)

	If you are a Power User or Admin and you need direct access to ACLs,
use a Desktop geared for that type of work, like KDE or use a File Manager
that supports ACLs while you are running the GNOME desktop.

	-Rob