[mdlug] Darwinia game at Big Lots for $4

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 07:06:16 EST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 12:34 AM, Joseph Vartanian <jvartanian at gmail.com> wrote:

> True.  We often forget that we're part of this thing we call nature.
> I believe it's just us trying to distance ourselves from the animal
> kingdom, because it makes us feel special.  But why shouldn't we
> distance ourselves from them?  We're smarter than them.  We're the
> only living things on Earth that actually understand concepts like
> natural selection and extinction.

That sounds like ego talking. Dolphins understand what we say a lot
better than we understand what they say. They lack opposable thumbs,
sure, but does that mean they're necessarily less intelligent than us?
We measure their intelligence by our standards and find them lacking,
but I'm sure they measure us by their standards and find us lacking.
Did you know dolphins actually have been observed testing humans?

> We have a much better
> understanding, than any other animal, of how our actions impact the
> world around us and ultimately ourselves.

If that was true, we wouldn't pollute the land we live in, or hunt
animals to extinction. Both of which we've done quite a lot of in the
past few centuries (to say the least).

> Humans think and animals act
> on impulse.  If we don't use this unique ability, and act only on pure
> impulse, then that makes us nothing but animals again.

That's pure arrogance. Animals do think, and humans do act on impulse.
There's less difference between us and the rest of the animal kingdom
than you're trying to portray.

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/