[mdlug] A big opportunity for Linux?

Dave Arbogast mdlug3 at arb.net
Mon Nov 19 20:23:44 EST 2007

>Sure, and "cost effective" means allot more than upfront cost.  Since
>most businesses pay a pittance for desktop machines, let alone the
>software on them,  the business case for LINUX is a pretty hard sell.

Errrr, I take it you have never actually see a M$ Enterprise support
agreement and the eight figure ransom big business pays for the real
cost of these "cheep" desktops. If they don't pay, they risk the very
real probability that malware will take down their business. Then,
there's the cheeper cost of AV and infection mitigation for the user
induced events.

AND, if they have an envirornment where a vedor sells them a WIN OS
embeded device (MF copier, manufacturing machinery, appliance, etc) they
are at real mercy of the desktop devicing causing interruption of their
core business when the cheep desktops cause faults - maybe infections -
of these "turn key" opperations.  Most of these embeded devices never
get patched and the vendor usually tells the client they can't touch the
OS. I have seen all of this. It is costing business multi-billions to
mitigate the risks and clean up after this so call "cheep OS".

I thought eveyone knows M$ does not make the bulk of their $$$ from
selling the actual software anymore....

-dave