[mdlug] OT: squid question

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Fri Nov 16 08:24:16 EST 2007

There is more than one way to deny access to sites.

One method does use regular expression and involves both a deny and an allow
lists.

If you are having trouble with certain areas of an otherwise allowed site,
you can alter the allow entry to include wildcards that will allow any site
that uses a portion of the URL you are having issues with.

I had to do this with a few such sites.

If this is the kind of setup you have, then all you need to do is alter the
text file and then restart squid and the change will begin working. This
isn't a change you need to make in the squid.conf file, so what you are
looking for (again, if this is the method used to block sites) is a line
pointing to a file outside of the squid.conf file.

The directions I had read when I set that up for us strongly suggested that
I put the porn and noporn regex files in the same location as the squid.conf
file, which was /etc/squid/ on my installation.

A quick check might be to see if you have some files just sitting in the
same location as your squid.conf named porn, noporn or allow, deny or some
other similar elements.

-Rob