[mdlug] I'net monitor & restrict w/o proxy?

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Wed Nov 14 14:15:03 EST 2007

Dean Durant wrote:
> Hello, does anyone know of software that monitors web sites visited, and
> restricts unwanted sites without beng an actual proxy?    Presently we
> have squid.  It was a system we inherited.  But I don't understand
> exactly how everything works.  Neither does anyone else.   The new boss
> says he doesn't like it.   My task is to find something simpler than
> squid.   The new boss says we don't use the proxy features of squid, and
> so don't need that.   He said, "find something else."   It doesn't have
> to be free.    Could be HW or SW.     I appreciate any help anyone can
> give.    Thanks, Dean

It sounds like the problem isn't squid itself, or the idea
of proxies in general...but instead the problem is probably
just a really poorly designed configuration -- the main clue
here being "I don't understand exactly how everything works.
Neither does anyone else"

Sounds like the previous admin was a hack (NOT a hacker),
who, among other things, didn't believe in commenting
his work  -- probably because he didn't know very well
what he was doing in the first place.

I would keep squid, and design a new configuration
from scratch.

I've never had to admin a squid proxy, but I have worked at
places where it was being used.  Squid works well when
properly configured -- just like most other software out there.