[mdlug] I'net monitor & restrict w/o proxy?

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Nov 14 08:21:59 EST 2007

	Squid is likely the best possible solution for what you need.

	Is there something in particular that you boss dislikes about squid?

	Squid is also not terribly difficult to configure and figure out,
the vast majority of what you need to do, in regards to configuration, is
fairly clearly explained in the comments that are throughout the entire
configuration file.

	If understanding the configuration file is difficult, I'd suggest
installing something called "Webmin". It's a web browser based configuration
tool that has excellent modules for configuring virutally everything on a
Linux system. The layout of the squid module can make it easier to
understand how it all goes together.

	The squid-cache mailing lists are also very helpful, as is their FAQ
and howto documents.

	Being a caching proxy, squid is actually better, especially if you
have a "limited" Internet connection and many people tend to visit/access
the same outside webpages.

	I've been using squid for a number of years here and could probably
answer some/most questions you might have.

	-Rob