[mdlug] opensuse 64 bit vrs 32 bit advantages speed etc.

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Fri Nov 9 12:24:23 EST 2007

Dan Pritts wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 11:01:31AM -0400, Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
> [aaron kulkis quoted too]
>
>>> 4) buy 64-bit hardware, install 64-bit OS and run
>>>     both 32-bit and 64-bit code.
>
>> Option 4 is a available on *some* Intel 64 bit processors.
>
> Any 64-bit intel CPU you'd buy in a "PC" would qualify.  You'd have
> to go way out of your way and pay a lot more money to buy an Itanium.
>
> Core 2 Duos are 64-bit; "Core" (what you might think of as "core 1")
> CPUs are not.
>
> There are 64-bit versions of the pentium 4 & celeron, as well as
> Current xeons are, I think, core2-based.  some of the older p4-based
> Xeons.  Current xeons are, I think, core2-based.
>
> The relevant intel marketing word is "EM64T".

But which of those are capable of booting up to a
64-bit operating system and then running 32-bit
code? -- it's NOT a trivial thing -- we had 64-bit
CPUs for over a decade before AMD developed one
that could accomplish this feat.

>> My off the cuff recollection is that when Intel first entered the 64 bit
>> market their product, codenamed Itanic^h_um was a fresh new architecture
>> with no backwards compatibility, and thus unencumbered with concerns
>> about supporting legacy code.
>
> It is not compatible with x86 but it might be with HP PA-RISC.  Not sure;
> but the architecture comes out of work done originally at HP and it was
> certainly the market successor to PA-RISC.

I believe Itanium was a joint HP/Intel project for HP's
next generation of HP-UX workstations.

And then Intel got miffed when HP switched from
PA-RISK CPUs to x86 architecture instead of Itanium.