[mdlug] OT: job openings

Scott Webster Wood treii28 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 20:21:11 EST 2007

Michael Corral wrote:
> Yeah, human trafficking and prostitution...that's funny stuff. @_@
>
> The "adult entertainment", i.e. porn, industry is run by some slimy
> people who get a lot of their "workers" by kidnapping young girls
> from other countries, drugging them up, then forcing them into both
> prostitution and pornography, oops, I mean "adult entertainment".
> There are also a lot of runaways from right here in the U.S. who
> get trapped into the same situation. It's a grim "business".
>
> But if you want to believe that interviewers and hiring committees
> aren't aware of that, you go right ahead.

I've actually worked on some logistics for someone that was doing a 'adult entertainment' website.  (installing and networking some webcams basically).  Although it was a small enough job that I didn't list it on my resume, I learned enough to know that some very profitable websites are run by individuals who simply don't have the same hang-ups over their sexuality as the rest of the conservative types in the general population.
If you want to get technical, a good number of 'adult entertainment' websites don't use 'workers' at all but simply plagiarize photos they have collected from other sources and sell access to them for profit.
But if you also want to get technical, many so called 'legitimate' business have been seen to have equally repulsive business practices over the years, whether it is conveniently overlooking the use of child labor or sweat shops in third world countries when the bottom line generates a greater profit margin, leaving environmental calamities in their wake or having a few CEO's run away with company profits in mass scams.  (anyone remember worldcom?)
Makes me wonder how many interviewers and hiring committees remain abreast of those kinds of issues or condemn everyone that may have ever worked in an associated industry to the same standards as the crooks or other unethical types that perpetrated them?

SW