[mdlug] Dell's blog video about new consumer Linux systems

Morris, Tim tmorris at ugs.com
Tue May 29 09:05:22 EDT 2007

Unfortunately, it appears you're still paying for the Vista license. I
did 2 (almost) completely identical configurations (1.73GHz, 2GB RAM,
120GB HDD, 8x DVD-Burner, 2 year support) and the final price is exactly
the same.

I love that they are starting to offer Linux, but I would have thought
the price would be a little lower than the Vista counterpart.
There is one difference between the laptops that may account for it:
The Linux system has a GFGo 7300 graphics card, while the Vista system
has an ATI X1300. The ATI card is the only option for the Vista system,
so a proper comparison is not possible. I'm a little rusty when it comes
to mobile video cards, but I seem to remember the benchmarks of the
cards being pretty close. Am I wrong?

Whatever happened to that drive to unify notebooks (just like desktops)
so you could buy a mobile component from the store and pop it into any
laptop?  Ahhh... Wouldn't that be nice!

--  Tim Morris - UGS PLM Software