[mdlug] Linux in the store front ?

Rich Clark <rrclark@rrclark.net> rrclark at rrclark.net
Wed May 23 09:46:24 EDT 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007, David Relson wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2007 16:32:33 -0400 (EDT)
> Rich Clark <rrclark at rrclark.net> wrote:
> > So what's difficult about updating your urpmi media sites, then
> > issuing "urpmi --update --auto --auto-select"?
>
> It's truly easy.  I've done it several times (at least 3 or 4 times).
> It works quite well, though there's usually one or two download errors
> which make it necessary to run the command a second (or third) time
> before all is done. Occasionally one also runs into config file issues,
> so saving a copy of /etc before starting is valuable.  To paraphrase
> All-State (?) "don't run 'update world' without it"

I've rarely, if ever, encountered that problem. When urpmi or really any
rpm is updated on my Mandriva systems, they always put up new config files
with a .rpmnew extension and did not replace anything necessary for most
programs to run correctly. The only exception I can think of recently is
when they modified their bind rpm installation to chroot jail by default.
That is the only thing I've ever seen an update break, and that was on an
upgrade installation from CD. Thing was, though, it set up the chroot jail
and set bind to rely on the setup files in /var/named/etc/ and
/var/named/var/named and left my config files intact. Ten minutes moving
zone files around and updating the configuration and I was back in
business.