[mdlug] Mark Shuttleworth on MS patent threat

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue May 22 07:31:02 EDT 2007

On Tue, 22 May 2007 03:25:12 -0400
Michael Rudas wrote:

> Before Microsoft was around, most software was free or "part of the package"

I suppose that's true.  Before Microsoft also means "before 1975" and
back then most software was for mainframes and minicomputers.  There
wasn't a whole lot available in the  microcomputer world.

Mainframes cost bundles of $'s and the "free" operating system,
compilers, etc was included in that bundle of  $'s.  Before the era of
PC's there was a thriving business in renting time and services on "big
iron" and it was anything but free.

... fast forward to micros ...

Before the IBM PC there were lots of proprietary designs -- imsai,
cromemco, osborne, sinclair, apple, etc.  CPM was a "standard" operating
system, but software for it was limited.  The Apple II was popular but
software choices were limited.

Microsoft grew as PC compatibles dominated the computing landscape.
Along with this growth so grew the number of applications available.

So, much as I dislike Windoze, I _do_ acknowledge that the level of
standardization it provides made possible the software industry that
now exists.  We are fortunate to live in a world with endless choices
of software -- both non-free and free.

David