[mdlug] *nix company roll call

David Lee Lambert davidl at lmert.com
Sun May 20 22:16:27 EDT 2007

On Thursday 17 May 2007 21:03, Jeff Hanson wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, how many Michigan companies do you know of
> extensively use or support Unix/Linux/BSD/Solaris etc?

My employer,  although it's not an IT company and probably won't be hiring
more IT staff in the near future.  We have some Windows-based servers
(including instances of SQL server), but all our newest servers run Linux
(mostly Gentoo).  We're also talking about using Xen or some other
virtualization technology to do some server consolidation.

> I keep encountering the attitude that Linux is for single guys who are
> self-taught programming hacks that work out of their parent's
> basement.

My boss was a self-employed "C" embedded systems developer before he signed on
at this company.  I haven't figured out exactly what OSes he used back then,
but he currently uses Ubuntu for his main personal workstation at work.

--
David Lee Lambert ... Software Developer
Cell phone: +1 586-873-8813 ; alt. email <as4109 at wayne.edu> or