[mdlug] ...Microsoft patent threat

allen amajorov at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 16 16:33:29 EDT 2007

Keith R Mannisto wrote:
> Any one wanting to dig a bit deeper into this thread might want to go to:
>
> http://www.google.com/advanced_patent_search
> and entered "Microsoft" as the search term.
>
> A quick read of the results, makes me think that Microsoft is "trying to
> patent the wheel"...

More like "patent everything and the kitchen sink".

I'm trying to think of a good reason for MS to assert patents like those
and the only thing I can think of is that they hope to win, or force
compromises, by out-spending any challengers. Considering the pile of
money MS is sitting on, that might not be a bad way to try to reassert
control over the computer market. It's also, I believe, the only way.

Allen