[mdlug] Linspire caves in to Microsoft patent threat

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:42:31 EDT 2007

On 5/16/07, Michael Corral <micorral at comcast.net> wrote:
> I always knew Linspire sucked:
> http://www.linspire.com/linspire_letter.php

As a Linux distro, I agree. I think their package management sucks. In
the terms that you are currently phrasing it in, I disagree.

> I especially like how they portray their surrender as "providing
> choice to the user". And get a load of this nonsense:

I particularly like the way you are portraying their dedication to
supporting their users as best they can as "surrender", particularly
when they say they'll continue to allow their users to fight M$'s
patent claims if they so choose.

> "Monopolies are certainly bad for choice, but so too is open source
> demagoguery which forces one's viewpoint upon others by limiting
> their choices."

I agree. Freedom includes the freedom to use closed source software if
I so choose. I've had this argument with FSF fanatics in the past, and
I'm sure I'll have it again, but the bottom line is: my box, my
choices.

> Good lord, why are these clowns even in the Linux business??

To make money and to support the spread and development of Linux. What
about you?

> I wonder how this will affect Ubuntu, which entered into some
> agreements with Linspire recently.

Dunno. Since Ubuntu spawns from the "open source demagoguery" end of
the spectrum (one of the few distros where you can't play mp3s out of
the box, for example), I'm not sure why these two ever partnered in
the first place. I expect this to drive a bit of a wedge between them.

And you neglected the best quote:
"This may not be a popular position for some in the open source
community, but it's a pragmatic one. I want to see Linux continue to
flourish and not hobbled, which means while options 1 and 2 are being
pursued, users may need to be given a choice."

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/