[mdlug] FSF - law school "IP" research

Bob Dion bobdion at starline-ent.com
Wed May 16 05:46:14 EDT 2007

If the subject of software patents rankles you, here is one way you
might be able to help fight it.

BD

 >From Richard Stallman:

The reason for the question about old law school course catalogs is
that we're looking for historical information that shows when use of
the propaganda term "intellectual property" became widespread.  We are
pretty sure this occurred in the 70s and 80s, but we want to find
objective evidence about it.

Since we know that the term was widely used in the late 90s, there is
no point sending references to the term from the 2000s.  They won't
show when the usage _started_.  Likewise, the rare uses from long ago
are not relevant to this question.

Law school course catalogues from the 70s and 80s can show when they
started using that term.  By checking them, you can provide evidence
that directly relates to the question.

The way to look at the old catalogues from the 70s and 80s is to phone
or visit the university library and ask where they are kept and how
you can look at them.

You may be able to think of other ways to measure when use of that
propaganda term became widespread.  If so, please try them -- that
information may be useful.

Information should be sent directly to rms at gnu.org.

-- John Sullivan Campaigns Manager | Phone: (617)542-5942 x23 |
http://badvista.org 51 Franklin Street, 5th Fl. | Fax: (617)542-2652 |
http://www.gnu.org Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA | GPG: AE8600B6 |
http://www.fsf.org "Microsoft put all those functionality-crippling
features into Vista because it wants to own the entertainment industry.
This isn't how Microsoft spins it, of course. It maintains that it has
no choice...It's all complete nonsense." --Bruce Schneier, "DRM in