[mdlug] OO.org in Mi schools

Garry Stahl tesral at comcast.net
Tue May 15 21:54:59 EDT 2007

Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> I would have just taught OO.org until someone complained.
>
> And then told the class that, if they want to learn MS Word,
> they'll have to shell out an extra $150 or whatever to use
> it at home.

I sent a letter to the local school board.

The school system is facing a budget crunch.  I have a suggestion that
could easily save the district a good deal of money. Drop Microsoft Office.

I refer you to this link. from the Lansing State Journal.
<http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070513/DEWITTBATH02/705130419/1006/news05.>

I use Open Office myself on a daily basis.  It costs me nothing.  It
runs well and has all the features that any office product requires.  It
is stable and journals its file content.  If your computer should crash
in the middle of working  on a document, it can save your work.  It runs
all computer operating systems, Windows, Linux/Unix and Macintosh.  Open
Office uses the .odf file format recommended by the Organization for the
Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS) for
interoperability and public access.  Open Office can also handle the
Microsoft formats and open .doc files as well.

Best of all it is free.  It would not cost the People of Dearborn a
singe red cent.  Students can be sent home with identical software to
that used at school for no cost to themselves or to the district.

I strongly recommend that the Dearborn School District consider this
open source software to replace Microsoft Office both in the
administrative and student applications.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn Http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com