[mdlug] Automotive technical info wanted (only slightly off topic)

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 00:16:42 EDT 2007

At 10:32 PM 5/14/07, Robert Meier wrote:

>If I correctly understand that your odometer is reading 15% short,
>then so is your speedometer.  I would recommend fixing this ASAP
>before you find yourself sued for violation of MCL 257.233a regarding
>odometer accuracy at time of sale, or other federal and state laws
>regarding odometer and speedometer accuracy at time of license
>renewal or interstate operation (not to mention risk of injury or death
>from unintended speeding).

Can I not simply disclose the inaccuracy to the buyer if and when I
sell the van
and fulfill my obligation to the buyer that way? Personally I'm
willing for the time
being to live with it; and I already take it into account when setting speeds.

And as far as wear and tear goes, the way I figure it, this would be
more dependent
on how many times the various parts of the engine have gone round and round
than on actual distance traveled on roads, so at least *if* the
discrepancy is due to
oversized tires, I shan't feel ripped off myself.

----

- Drew.