[mdlug] Fwd: Ubuntu vs. FedoraCore vs. SuSE

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Sun May 13 12:25:58 EDT 2007

On 5/13/07, God of Lemmings <god_of_lemmings at usol.com> wrote:

> Prepare for a rush of people saying which distro has been best for
> them...

Sometimes I think it's a Linux user's favorite pass-time.

> Personally, I went Ubuntu -> Suse 10 -> Gentoo on AMD64,
> The initial setup was a headache, but after that it has been pretty
> nice.

I do strongly recommend Gentoo to anybody with a powerful machine and
the stamina to make it through the install process. A word of warning,
though. Do *not* use the 2007.0 LiveCD install. Many users are
reporting bugs. For myself, it wouldn't set up any partitions, but it
did erase the old ones, immediately and without warning (as opposed to
the normal "doesn't actually do anything until you commit"
partitioning). I'm currently downloading Sabayon (a Gentoo derivative)
to give that a try. And the old school Gentoo install (basically a CLI
with a C compiler, and a whole lot of manual work) should still work
fine. Once Gentoo is up and running, I find it to be the easiest
distro to maintain.

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/