[mdlug] Ubuntu vs. FedoraCore vs. SuSE

Richard Staff rstaff at sprynet.com
Sat May 12 15:15:26 EDT 2007

Joseph Vartanian wrote:
> On 5/11/07, Stan Green <Stan at mcomputersolutions.com> wrote:
>
>> I have the opportunity to reinstall Linux on a file server. (I don't care to
>> talk about why.) I would also like to make it a mail server some day. This is
>> all for my home network. Right now I have machines with Fedora Core 6 (Web
>> server) and SuSE 10.1 (Desktop). I have been seeing a lot of chatter about
>> Ubuntu but have never used it. Is it enough better than either FC or SuSE to
>> take on a third distro? I have no plans to stop using the other two distros.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stan Green
>>

> Ubuntu has a nice advantage over other distros as a desktop, since it
> works rather well out of the box.  Ubuntu server however doesn't seems
> to have any real advantage over other distros as a server.  In fact
> when I tried Ubuntu server, I had quite a few problems with it (like
> not booting up after a clean install).  I say until you see a distro
> that has server features that really impress you, stick with what you
> know works.
>
> -Joseph

SimplyMEPIS 6.0 has been the best desktop Linux experience for me.
And that is after going thru Red Hat, Mandrake, Xandros, SuSE, Slackware.
MEPIS is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian.
I have Synaptic (apt-get) package access to the MEPIS, Ubuntu/Debian
repositories.
I can now play with Mono .NET, Perl, PostgreSQL, Python, Ruby, etc.
OpenOffice.org, KMyMoney, card games, board games, etc., and so on.
:-D
Rick