[mdlug] Dual Core with Hyper Threading

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 12:39:32 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007, Ingles, Raymond wrote:
> > From: David Lane
> >
> > Do the distros at install adapt to optomize for the features of the
> > cpu?
>
>  Some do. Others install a 'generic' kernel and let you compile an
> optimized one yourself if you like. Ubuntu used to maintain several
> optimized variants and now offers just a generic image.
>
>  Sincerely,
>
>  Ray Ingles                               (313) 227-2317

However, it should be mentioned that the generic kernel in (K)ubuntu
7.0.4 (and 6.10, IIRC) handles my Centrino Duo without a hitch,
recognizing and using both cores.  Thus, my laptop 'feels' faster than
my AMD 3800+ server.

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep processor
processor       : 0
processor       : 1