[mdlug] Cassette tape to Music CD

Michael Rudas (computer) MPR_Linux at Ameritech.net
Tue May 8 23:06:58 EDT 2007

Drew wrote:
>     What's the best way to go about this? My sound card, according to lspci, is an Ensonique ES1370.
a/k/a Creative Labs SoundBlaster PCI series.

There are line-level inputs on the sound card that will match the output
of whatever you put in-- line level from the headphone jack of a
Walkman, for example-- but you have to make sure that the adjusted
output level of the source does not overload the input of the sound card
(digital does not forgive overdrive).  Theeternal  trick in audio is
getting the best balance between too high an input level and a decent
signal-to-noise ratio.

I recommend Audacity for the sound-file manipulation.  It's in most
distributions by default, but can be easily obtained from most
repositories.  Tutorials are readily available-- it's well worth the
knowing-how-to-use.

Sample at 44.1 KHz/16 bit (the default, but check).  If the source
material is monaural, use Audacity to convert the file to stereo for
recording as a .WAV for the CD-burning software to write as a Red Book
audio CD.

-- Mikey