[mdlug] Automotive technical info wanted (only slightly off topic)

Evan Carew carew at pobox.com
Tue May 8 14:54:11 EDT 2007

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>Evan Carew wrote:
>

> Actually, it's fairly easy to tell if your engine's seals can take any
> ethanol in your fuel (even as low as 12%). All you have to do is to
> look in your user's manual which came with the car. If the seals are
> of the type which can't do ETOH, then it will say that your car can't
> use fuel with ANY ethanol at all. As an example, my 2001 Saturn L
> series from GM can't take any.
>
> Evan
>

> >Ow!
>
> >Ethenol is a great fuel additive -- keeps fuel systems clean
> >and also absorbs water condensation.

Yes it does adsorb water, however, it contains 15% less energy / gal,
has the effect of acidifying your fuel mixture, and will precipitate out
of solution at the right (or wrong depending on your perspective)
temperature and pressure. This latter event will give your engine
controller a bit of a headache.