[mdlug] Automotive technical info wanted (only slightly off topic)

allen amajorov at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 7 22:41:35 EDT 2007

Drew wrote:
> * In any event I'd like to get away from having to *buy* the fuel, or
> at least instead switch to buying
>    from someone who doesn't know what they've got and will charge
> considerably less per BTU.
>
> ----
>
> - Drew.

If I understand you correctly, you're interested in an automotive wood
gas generator. If that's the case, I can relate some second-hand
experience from my father and a couple of other relatives who went
through World War II in eastern Europe.

The subject came up during a previous spike in gasoline prices and
without exception they dismissed the idea of going back to wood gas as
ridiculous. The major shortcoming of wood gas is its expense if you
figure your time has any value.

Wood gas generators require a fair amount of maintenance to operate
efficiently and require endless adjustment.

The maintenance requirements stem from their relatively small size. You
can't put a large generator on a car so the small generator you can put
on a car has to be cleaned out much more frequently. Fail to keep the
generator cleared out and it just stops working until you do clear it out.

The finickiness of wood gas generators comes from the varying energy
content and flammability of wood, qualities that can vary over the
duration of a single loading of the generator. The quality of the
generated gas can also vary between firings as well as during a firing
and that has to be compensated for. Every time you fire up the generator
you have to fiddle with the carburetor and and air inlets.

Much of that variability can be squeezed out of the wood by converting
it to charcoal and, of course, coal is much less variable in it's energy
content and burning characteristics then wood.

The general reception the idea got was that it was ridiculous and that
gasoline would have to go to ten dollars per gallon, back when it was
around a buck a gallon - before they, my father and relatives - would
even consider using a wood gas generator.

Your mileage, so to write, may vary but that's what some of the folks
who had day-to-day experience with the gadgets thought of them.

Allen