[mdlug] Automotive technical info wanted (only slightly off topic)

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Sun May 6 16:56:00 EDT 2007

On 5/6/07, gib at juno.com <gib at juno.com> wrote:

> I was impressed by your depth of understanding in the plastics field
> when you asked questions during the self replicating printer session.

I don't know any more about plastics than the standard common
engineering knowledge.

> I'd suggest that you go to the nearest Ford dealer and ask at the parts
> counter for a engine manual. Perhaps you can order a specific book.

Any specific type? I already have a Chiltons. It lists howto do a
variety of repairs thouh I doubt it has some of the information that
I'm after.

> Have you searched on-line?  What is the engine type, model or whatever?

I will be doing some searching.

As I mentioned, it is a  _Windstar_, manufactured by Ford. More
specifically it was built in 1998, and has the 3.0L V6.

For now, though, what I'm especially after is a running measurement of
the fuel consumption rate at any given instant (gallons per hour,
microliters per second, etc.) or something that can be easily
converted to GPH. MPH / GPH == MPG.

I really hate the usual way of measuring MPG, as (1) it involves
filling the take - *twice*, and (2) it takes a lot of fuel use to get
a result, and (3) it provides NO information on how MPG varies with
speed or other factors.

----

- Drew.