[mdlug] Thoughts on Switching to Fedora Core From Ubuntu

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 00:13:29 EDT 2007

On Sunday 25 March 2007, Peter Bart wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> 	I have an IBM Thinkpad T30 that I currently have Ubuntu 6.10
> installed on. For the most part I have been very happy with the whole
> thing [...] I have a twin to this machine; which is mine; and
> it has SUSE 10.2 running on it [...] So I'm looking
> at Fedora Core 6 as an option for one machine, simply to see how it
> works. Red Hat seems to be the other commercial distro, so I'm
> expecting a fairly painless install. Any thoughts?

My advice is don't be a masochist.  If you are production support for
yourself on one distro, you've already done all the work for the other
box.  Maybe you might try FC6 on a spare box or VM to kick the tyres,
but you would be doing yourself and the user a disfavor if
you "experiment" on his/her box.

BTW, I informally "support" ~8 linux desktops.  They all run my daily OS
(Kubuntu 6.10), even though I use a few other flavors for server and
testing. Anything else would only cause everyone more grief.

$0.02 :)

--
Mike
www.dynaorg.com