[mdlug] Thoughts on Switching to Fedora Core From Ubuntu

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Sun Mar 25 17:34:13 EDT 2007

Peter Bart wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> 	I have an IBM Thinkpad T30 that I currently have Ubuntu 6.10 installed
> on. For the most part I have been very happy with the whole thing with
> the glaring exception of scanning, and suspend being a little touchy at
> times. The person using this has no real complaints; save for not being
> able to scan as a user; but I take exception to having to hard reset the
> machine at times when it refuses to suspend. I'm not really looking
> forward to digging further through the forums to find the solution to
> the scanning as user issue and apparently I am one of the few who
> actually have suspend/resume working. This is after standing on my head
> to get the box to where it is today. Things are picking up for me at
> work and I'm having to spend a lot of time and money replacing tools and
> a truck stolen recently, so I have less time to kill now. I have a twin
> to this machine; which is mine; and it has SUSE 10.2 running on it.
> Compared to Ubuntu the install was a snap, everything just worked with
> the exception of a documented fix for high power consumption under
> suspend and networkmanager sometimes failing to work. So I'm thinking of
> simply installing SUSE to make it easy for me but that would be too
> easy, wouldn't it? So I'm looking at Fedora Core 6 as an option for one
> machine, simply to see how it works. Red Hat seems to be the other
> commercial distro, so I'm expecting a fairly painless install. Any
> thoughts on this?

I used to like RedHat...then they started limiting the number
of apps in their distro in favor of a philosphy of "for every
task, there is only one true [verb_here]-er, and all others
shall be ignored" for high-end apps (other than, say, the text
editors)."  At that time, I switched to SuSE.

Then they all but abandoned the "soho" market, leaving the
"fedora" as a sop, but obviously their heart was never really
in maintaining that decently.

Since switching to SuSE, I've been happy ever since, so I'm
sticking with it, unless they do something that really hinders
their distros.